Did you know that fishing is the world’s most popular hobby? We do! And here at Fishbrain, we have created the world’s largest social network dedicated to people who love fishing as well as a suite of tools to help users catch more and bigger fishes. We have over 14 million users all over the world who have logged over 12 million catches in our app. We’re growing fast, have lots of fun, and are taking the fishing industry with us. That's why we are looking for more Backend Engineers. Some of us fish, some of us love the outdoors, all of us are united in building the best fishing experience. Would you like to be a part of taking the world’s no. 1 fishing app to the next level?
Please submit applications in ENGLISH, those that are not will not be reviewed.
What you’ll work on:
- Designing, building, and deploying highly scalable software systems written mainly in Ruby on Rails.
- Collaborating as a member of a cross-functional team to define, design, and ship new features in a continuous delivery environment.
- Maintaining a high code quality standard by writing thoughtful code and reviewing code from other engineers.
- Optimizing performance of complex systems under load to keep things running smoothly.
- Improving the development process, to increase efficiency of development and quality of the product.
- Diagnosing issues and bugs, monitoring metrics and alerts, and mitigating incidents.
What we are fishing for:
- You have strong software engineering fundamentals, including data structures, design patterns, and complexity analysis.
- You have extensive professional experience creating applications in Ruby on Rails.
- You’ve got experience with databases, networking and running distributed software in a cloud environment.
- You're smart, get stuff done, have great energy, and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Extra nice to have:
- Experience with designing GraphQL APIs
- Experience with infrastructure such as ElasticSearch, AWS, Docker or Terraform
- Experience with PostGIS or working with geographic data
- Experience with designing for performance in systems at scale and under heavy load.
We’re a product-focused startup, and every individual is important. That means you get to contribute to the direction of the company and the impact we have on millions of anglers. We at Fishbrain work with the latest tech and challenge ourselves every day. We want your years at Fishbrain to be a time to grow and develop on both a career and personal level, which is why we so heavily value a work culture that encourages innovation, passion and teamwork. And most importantly, we want you to enjoy coming to work every single day.
In addition, Fishbrain also offers:
- Flexible public holidays, swap days off according to your culture, values and beliefs.
- 30 days of paid vacation per year*
- Company-provided laptop (your choice of Windows, Mac or Linux) and smartphone (iOS or Android)
- Dedicated learning budget for career growth and development.
- Friendly, honest and open culture, including both remote-friendly and in-person social events.
- Commitment to sustainability - For us, respecting the environment is about balance. We believe in catch & release and the sustainable harvest of fish species. Because when it comes to the outdoors, tomorrow matters too.
*For most employees. Depending on location of employment.
Where you’ll work:
We have 100+ employees, boasting almost 40 different nationalities. At Fishbrain, we love diversity, we embrace and welcome new ideas, we move fast and live by the “dare to fail” mentality. We’re a hybrid remote company. Some of us work from boats or tents. Some of us work in our office in Stockholm, Sweden. Some of us work from home. That’s the beauty of remote work. But we also value collaboration, so we ask that you can be available at least 4 hours a day in Central Europe Time (9am-5pm GMT +1).
Looking for more of an office culture? Our home office is located in Stockholm, Sweden. If you’re working from there, then you’ll have access to fishing rods for relaxing lunch fishing, our friendly office dogs, and plenty of coffee. Just make sure to make a fresh pot!
Relocation possibilities are based on current Swedish regulations. Let us know when you apply if you’re looking for relocation.
Feeling hooked? Throw us a line!
Keywords: Ruby, Ruby on rails, GraphQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, AWS, backend, Docker.